Friday, June 26, 2009

It might be summer.... but we're still learning!

I thought I would share a few little things we learned so far this summer.

Anaya learned that if you get the cold straightening iron stuck in your hair and your mom is outside mowing the lawn, maybe you should not cut it out, because then your mom has to learn how to do interesting hair styles that involve lots and lots of pony tail holders.

Anaya also learned that you shouldn't yell, "Look mom.... lots and lots of little bums!" while you are looking at the apricots at the store.McKay learned how to play t-ball, and LOVED it. He told me he wants to play t-ball forever. We'll save the "t-ball is only a 2 year sport" lesson for another day. We also learned that it doesn't matter if you go to the bathroom right before the game starts, if you're standing in the field doing nothing... you WILL have to go.

Kayden learned that the pioneers had it rough. It rained, hailed, and blew our youth almost the whole time they trekked. It was beautiful and clear for the small amount of time they were in the cove, and that's about it. He still loved the whole thing. He even sang a special musical number with a small group.... (or so I heard!)

We visited upper and lower Mesa Falls, and we learned that, wow, the mosquitoes have LOVED the 12 straight days of rain!! I had a hard time getting any pictures of the family because they were always wildly waving their arms trying to get the mosquitoes away! It was still beautiful and a fun trip with the kids. Taisha was by far the fastest hiker of our bunch, and she also complained the least! We learned that McKay's favorite part of the whole trip was carrying the hydration back pack. He still talks about it!

I got to go to one day of girls camp with Malia and 9 other girls. I learned that camping really isn't that bad... especially when you are camping in a nice cabin in Island Park! I got to go on their hike around Harriman Lake and saw Footloose at Pierre's Playhouse in West Yellowstone. This is my kind of camping!

I had a GREAT birthday, and I learned that getting one year older is just fine when you have great family, wonderful friends, and piles of really, really good food!!!

We got our garden planted, and then it rained and hailed for almost the whole month of June, and we are learning that a garden grows better with a little warmth and sun. The weather has been really crazy, and I don't know if our garden is going to survive! The mushrooms in my grass though seem to be doing awesome...phew!

Kayden is almost done with drivers ed, and then he can drive all he wants..... during the day, in the state of Idaho, and with a responsible adult. I think McKay has finally come to terms with Kayden driving. He was a little worried that Kayden wouldn't know where to go, and they would be lost, driving around in circles somewhere in our big city!!!

I'm reading The Land of Elyon books (I'm almost done with the first book.) I'll give you a full review when I get them done. The main character is named "Alexa," so they have to be good right?

4 comments:

Holyoak Family said...

Wow! You are learning lots of stuff! I hope you have had a great birthday week! We could go for the whole birthday month but I am afraid we would all be fatter for it!

Debi said...

I'm almost finished with the "hourglass door" I told you about and think you'd like it! Glad you are still learning :D

Aimee said...

I love the apricot comment!

tam said...

hey I didn't realize you had a blog, I linked to you from Kim's blog. We would love to keep in touch and see how you and your family is doing. We also have a private blog, so if you want an invite, email me at
tammyprescott22@hotmail.com

I hope everything is going well for you guys! We sure miss it there!