Sunday, November 16, 2008

An Ideal Day

We had stake conference this weekend. We were supposed to have it next weekend, but they kicked us out of that stake and made a whole new stake for us to be in. Last night was the adult session of conference, so that was our hot date for this week. We were planning on getting some dessert after, but all that talk on "stake this" and "stake that" and "this new Ammon stake," made me hungry and craving steak! Yes, I know, sad how my mind works.... So after conference we went to TGIFridays for steak, and it tasted so good! (Just so you know, I did actually listen to the talks, and they were excellent. The two general authorities that came to set up the new stake and stake presidency were outstanding speakers.... I only thought about food for part of conference.)

Later on that night we were talking about what an "ideal day" would be like. "We" meaning I talked lots about it and Rik rolled his eyes and gave me lots of blank stares, which I translated to mean "Hmmm.... you're ideal day has nothing to do with winning a Frisbee golf tournament or watching UFC live?!" I'm really good at translating Rik's facial expressions and moments of silence. Ask him.... he'll tell you! Like when we are are chatting together on MSN ("we" meaning I'm chatting away and Rik is working,) when he doesn't instant message me right back, I translate all that non-messaging. I can have a whole conversation with him, and he doesn't even know it! It's a gift really. Anyway, here's how my ideal day would go: I would have nice long sleep in, where my back didn't hurt and I didn't feel guilty about sleeping late (right now, my back only likes to stay in bed for 6-7 hours, while the rest of me would prefer 7-9 hours of sleep.) The kids would already be gone with Rik doing something really fun, that would take all day, and didn't require much preparation (like not going camping.... that destroys the house just to pack and get out the door....) I would go take a nice long shower with yummy smelling shampoo, conditioner and body wash. When I got out, my favorite jeans would be clean and broken in. My bed would already be made (as would all the other beds in the house) and the floors would be all picked up. Really all I would have left for my morning work would be vacuum and one load of laundry, but there would be nothing in the washer that had to go in the dryer, and definitely nothing in the dryer that had to be folded and put away. I wouldn't have to do my hair that day, because I would go to the hair place and they would cut my hair, color it the color I see everywhere that I love, but can never seem to get on my own head, and then they would style it (I can't seem to do my hair these days...) Then I would meet my friends for lunch. After lunch I would go do a little shopping, and would really luck out because there would be a one hour sale with an additional 50% off your total purchase (totally makes my day when I get a good deal!) Then I would go home, take a nice nap in my clean house, then get up and read some of my favorite blogs, who would have all posted something funny and interesting. Then I would go pick up some dinner, take it home, and eat while watching TV (a little side note.... when I pick up dinner, they would say they were offering a new dessert for free, just to get the word out.... I love free dessert). I almost never watch TV these days, and haven't for years, but wouldn't mind a night of it every now and again. While I was watching TV I would finish up on the one load of laundry and get it all put away, and then I would go to sleep when I was tired...early or late. I wouldn't have to worry about starting the dishwasher, or turning off lights, or correcting any homework. The kids and Rik would get home the next day.... and I would be a totally different person. I wouldn't want everyday to be like that..... but once every couple months would be so nice!

This week will not be anywhere close to my ideal day.... but carpet is going in Tuesday... that will bring a whole different kind of joy (but I just might be exhaused too...) Nice to day dream though. I'll get some pictures up later on this week!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Alexa, I love your posts and look forward to when you post because you are so real in the way you word things. You are a great writer and can express yourself so well. Have you thought about becoming an author...no joke.

Michelle and Cal said...

Oh crappy...for some reason my comment came out "anonymous". But I wanted to let you know that it wasn't from some crazy stalker, just your good ol' friend Michelle.

Dee Martin said...

Alexa, I enjoyed your 'Ideal Day'. I thought I'd add a short comment. My ideal day has to have a beach some where in the chronology, preferably somewhere in the South Pacific, somewhat deserted, or even desserted, with a four to five foot swell breaking just off the reef, a light, off shore breeze blowing just for the slight cooling effect, and plenty of time for a long, cozy nap. In fact, just thinking about it makes me a bit drowsy. Keep writing, you do a great job.
Dee Martin

The Holcombs said...

Sounds like a nice day, but I would cut out any house work at all and add some time at the spa...massage, facial and a manicure. Ahhhh I am dreaming right now. Thanks for the daydream

Murdoch Clan said...

Oh Alexa! Did I tell you already that I love the way your mind ticks? You have such an amazing, and intriguing mind! I love you to death, you're incredible! Call me sometime, anytime, I would LOVE to watch your kids for a day so that daydream can be a LIVING reality!! You're way to cute, I just adore you! Take Care, can't wait to see you on Thanksgiving! Laura