Sunday, November 30, 2008

Rats...Can't Sleep

I was trying to have a nice Sunday nap, but my "sore throat" cold has turned into a "cough til your eyes water" cold, so I kept coughing myself awake. So, I decided I would just get up, put dinner in the oven, and spend some time on my long awaited paint blog. I have been painting the last 3-4 weeks, which makes me an expert. So here you have it.... me passing on my painting expertise:

I started out priming everything with WalMart's Color Place primer. I got way too much (like 5 gallons way too much) and it was white and boring, but it went on fast, and there was no cutting in! (Please give me a call if you need primer...you can have it!)

With the red, lime green, and gray that I painted, I decided I needed a really good paint so that I didn't need to paint a million coats, so I chose Valspar Ultra Premium from Lowes. This was the best paint that I tried. It is really thick (think painting with Elmer's glue). It stuck to the roller and the wall, so there was no dripping or splattering and it went on thick... so no re-dos. Worth every penny.

I used Olympic Premium for the family room. As far as I could tell it was the same as the Olympic 15 year that I used for Malia's pink walls and the ceiling paint. It wasn't as thick as the Valspar, but thick enough that there were no drips, and there was minimal re-paints. I used WalMart's Color Place 15 year for the trim and doors. It reminded me of the Olympic Premium.

The very last room that I painted was McKay and Anaya's room. I got the Behr Premium Plus from Home Depot and it was terrible paint! It was really thin, so lots of drips and re-paints. It spattered all over and I had a harder time getting it to sit right on my paint brush for cutting in.

Valspar Ultra Premium: *****
Olympic Premium: ****
Olympic 15 year: ****
Color Place 15 year: ****
Behr Premium Plus: ** (And that's mostly because it washed off pretty good... like out of the carpet that it would spatter on.)

PS: My scathing Behr comments had nothing to do with the fact that I was soooooo sick of painting when I got to painting this room.

PSS: It has nothing to do with the fact that McKay came in screaming because he thought the color was girlish.

PSSS: And I certainly wasn't in a bad mood when Anaya came in screaming because she thought the color was boyish.

PSSSS: Nor did it have anything to do with the fact that I was painting around the bunk beds, a dresser and a TV, so things were a little cramped, and I put my step ladder down in my paint tray, cleaned that off, and then stepped off my step ladder INTO the paint tray, and then when I was trying to take my painty sock off, used the wall I just painted for balance, and because of my head cold, had no voice to yell at the kids to get me a wet towel, and the kids were far away in the basement, because they just knew they shouldn't come into the room to tell me what they thought of the color.

PSSSSS: And it has nothing to do with the color, which I hate. It's an aqua/sky blue that I am going to get really tired of in about a month two days ago, and I think I'm going to have to repaint this week.

PSSSSSS: Nor does it have anything to do with the fact that I couldn't find the drop clothes, had to run to WalMart on Black Friday for that one thing, had no pumpkin pie in the house, the kids ate a whole pound of my cinnamon glazed almonds while I was painting (I was saving those), and when I finally finished the room, I walked out and the rest of the house was a total disaster. Nope this was a purely objective paint review.

And now my review of painting doors:

I hate painting doors. Ya, I know, that is a shock, because I have really enjoyed painting um.... nothing.

PS: The door and trim roller I have makes a nice finish on the door.

PSS: I don't have a bad attitude about painting.

PSSS: My painting doors review had nothing to do with me shaking the door/trim paint, and not realizing the lid wasn't on tight, the lid falling off, and paint spilling on the laundry room floor (could have been worse.... I could have been on the new carpet! *phew!)

Alrighty then, 3 doors painted, 5 to go. Oh yippee!


Sorry, no pictures today. But I'm taking Anaya to get her ears pierced tomorrow (after having this conversation with her about 1000 times this weekend: Anaya: I want to get my ears pierced! Me: Ok, we'll go Monday after school. Anaya: Is it Monday after school right now? Me: No, did you have school today? Anaya: Mmmmm, yep. Me: No, there was no school today, and there are too many people in the stores today. And then 5 minutes go by and we repeat the whole thing all over again....no concept of time!) So I'll probably get some pictures up with her earrings, which are going to be hearts and probably pink. I'll take some before and after pictures of the robin egg blue room (ewwww).

Oh wait.... I can steal some pictures from Thanksgiving from Laura:




We went to Soda Springs for Thanksgiving, and of course, the food was awesome, and it was so fun to see everyone!

3 comments:

DeAnn said...

You need another PSSSSS letting us know how much Dr. Pepper and licorice was consumed as you painted. The more you have of that, the less you mind painting. Maybe you just needed one more case of pop and another bag of licorice. Okay, maybe two. Maybe a cheesecake, too.

Samantha said...

You are too funny! I can't believe you have painted so much in such a short time! I hate painting too! I actually think I like it and talk myself into painting and then remember about halfway through the first coat how bad I hate it! Hot tips on paint brands - thanks!! :) Can't wait to see pictures! Glad you had a good thanksgiving!

Murdoch Clan said...

Lex, you need to write a book or something, you have the most interesting and humourous mind! Or somehow you and Rik could be the next John and Kate + 8. Your life sounds forever crazy, and would be so entertaining, as are all of those tv personalities, because you found somehow, someway you relate to them sometimes. Anyways, what can I say, I love how your mind ticks! Laura
PS) I think you just inspired me to paint my house, go figure! J/K