Sunday, September 26, 2010

Do You Like Green Eggs and Jam??

Kayden started taking care of a farm a couple years ago. The owner passed away, and the kids are still trying to sell the house and the land. In the mean time, Kayden keeps the yard looking good. A couple of weeks ago, one of the daughters told him that there were plum trees in the back that produce every other year, and this was their year. She told Kayden we could pick the trees dry, since no one was there to eat them. So last Saturday we all headed over, and sure enough there were nice, ripe, sweet plums. I was so excited about turning them into jam.

Here's the thing though.... they were green plums, not purple. About 1/2 way through my first batch of jam, I found out that green plums make green jam. (Yes, I realize I should have thought of that before I started making the jam....) So here's what they ended up looking like:

(Here's the first 2 of 5 batches)

Yum.... slime covered boogers.... I'm guessing I won't be able to use them as school teacher and visiting teacher gifts this year.... unless they have a great sense of humor!

I still have more plums in the garage. I might try mixing them with some raspberries and food coloring, and maybe strain out the peels... I don't know. It does taste really good though!

2 comments:

Michelle and Cal said...

The green plums are my ultimate favorite. My dad had a tree and it died last year so I have been green plumless this year. This is my first year since I was a kid that I haven't made myself sick (literally) on green plum overdose. I just cannot stop! Since I know how delicious those plums are, I know how delicious your jam probably is!

Debi said...

That piece of bread looks exactly as you said it did!! Kenna has been begging for plums, she loves them!! I didn't even know there were such a thing as green ones ~ enjoy your jam!! Hope your job is going well