Monday, January 26, 2009

Anaya and the DoDo song



Anaya learned to play this song on the piano (read this to find out why Anaya calls it the "DoDo song) and plays it every time she walks past the piano. She usually ends up singing the rest of the song (the words are "Do dodo dodo do dodo dodo do dodo dodo do do dodo") after she plays the beginning part. I thought maybe I should start her on some beginning piano lessons, because she seems to have good finger coordination and I thought she would really like them, but here's an example of how our first lesson went:

Me: Lets start right here in your book.
Anaya: No I don't want to, it doesn't have any butterflies on it.
Me: It doesn't matter if there are butterflies on it, just look right here and....
Anaya: I'm not playing unless there are butterflies.
Me: Maybe we can get some butterfly stickers to put on the page... sheesh, or I could draw one on there....(and then think about what I just said)... but you CAN NOT color on my piano books.
Anaya: Get some stickers then.
Me: Why don't you put your fingers right here on the black keys and I'll teach you "Mary Had A Little Lamb."
Anaya: Oh, I love that song!! (Proceeds to sing whole song.....twice)
Me: Just put your hands right here.
Anaya: No, I don't want to put them right there... how about right here? (Put hands in totally wrong place)
Me: Anaya, you have to put your hands where the book tells you. Do you see the pictures on top of the page, it tells you where you need to put your hands to play the song right.
Anaya: Those are stupid pictures.
Me: Anaya how many times have I told you we don't say "stupid."
Anaya: Where are the butterfly stickers?
Me: I have to get them at the store.
Anaya: That's stupid!
Me: WE DO NOT SAY STUPID!
Anaya: Fine, I don't want to play the piano (and then proceeds to play the "Carol Bell" song 500 times starting on the wrong note.... just to make obnoxious noise.) Do I get a piano treat now?

And so we are going to wait a little while, like maybe 5 years, before we find some poor teacher to teach Anaya piano (and yes, we will find someone else to teach her and it will totally be worth every penny.)

The "Finlayson Family Blog" book was supposed to get here by January 23rd, and didn't get here yet, but hopefully today. Maybe all the snow held it up a little bit. Lots and lots of new snow, which I think is stupid great for the farmers, and for Kayden and Malia who went snowboarding Friday night and Kayden who went all day Saturday too. Kayden is stiff as a "board" from all that snowboarding though. Ha ha! What a good pun.... as in, stiff as a SNOW-BOARD.... Fine, I'll just get off the computer and go fold some laundry (*shakes head and mumbles "no sense of humor."*)

4 comments:

Kristina P. said...

Man, this took me back. I haven't played the piano in so long! She's lovely!

Samantha said...

I know you're a busy mom and all (understatement of the world) but I seriously need you to post EVERYDAY! You always make me laugh.

In her defense though, I wouldn't want to play anything without butterflies either! Is that really too much to ask? :)

Lyn said...

She is just too cute! Love your blogs. You always make me laugh!

Holyoak Family said...

That is the reason I pay Paula McGary to teach my kids piano!!!! Oh, and the fact that I don't play piano.