Thursday, October 30, 2008

Halloween 2008

We got around to carving pumpkins last night. Malia carved the scarecrow, Taisha carved the "Help! I've fallen and can't get up!" pumpkin, and Kayden carved the mummy. McKay and Anaya helped get all the pumpkin guts out (McKay did it without touching them though...)

Taisha as Cleopatra this year.

Anaya was a princess again this year. (She loves the dress... but was bummed that she didn't have new princess shoes. All I can say is she better marry rich, because she LOVES shoes, jewelry and having her hair done!) (Whoa... look at The Wiggles rocking it out on the TV!)

And McKay wanted to be Harry Potter again this year. It only took me 9 tries to get his scar the way he wanted.... Here's how it went:
McKay: Mom, draw my scar on.
Me: (Grabs eye liner and draws on a scar.)
McKay: (Runs to mirror, looks, bursts into tears, comes back yelling at me to do it right.)
Me: (Gets wash cloth, scrubs off scar, draws a new scar as per McKay's drawing of how it should look).
McKay: (Runs to mirror, looks, bursts into tears, comes back yelling at me to do it right.)
Me: (Gets wash cloth, scrubs off scar, draws a new scar as per McKay's drawing of how it should look).
McKay: (Runs to mirror, looks, bursts into tears, comes back yelling at me to do it right.)
Me: (Gets wash cloth, scrubs off scar, draws a new scar as per McKay's drawing of how it should look).
This little routine was repeated 8 times. Finally on the 9th time, I clued in that he was looking in the mirror... so I needed to draw a MIRRORED image of his scar drawing. After that all was good. And thank heavens for that (McKay still tells me Rik draws it better than me, but it is ok).

Look at my awesome princess hair do (and yes, I did steal/borrow the neighbor's bow that she left here yesterday.... but look how cute!).


I helped with the party in Taisha's room this time (the elementary schools are out tomorrow for parent/teacher conferences... so Halloween parties were today). After thinking a while about what games I wanted to play (I started working on this last night about 10:30), I thought I would Halloween-ize some old baby shower games. So I put a bunch of Halloween objects in a black garbage bag (vampire teeth, small pumpkin, witch finger, snake, sucker, spider, small tombstone, etc;) and tied a knot in the top and they had to feel the objects through the garbage bag and figure out what was in there. Then they had to guess the weight and circumference of a pumpkin, and then I melted 6 different chocolate bars and they had to guess what kind of chocolate bar was all glopped up on the tray (they could smell, but not touch)...(Rik came home to change into temple clothes to take the youth to do baptisms, and ate the chocolate glops of yuck right off the tray....ew). At the very end I had them turn their paper over, put it on their forehead, and they had to draw a pumpkin, a bat, and a crescent moon.... or scribble... because that's what it looks like when you draw on a paper on your forehead.


The ward Trunk-or-Treat is tonight, and I'll probably get a couple pictures of the other two kids who might dress up as "youth who just got done doing baptisms for the dead."

Trim and doors were dropped off this afternoon, so I'm planning an all-night paint 'til it's done party! Fun! Carpet next week, and I'm moving kids down next weekend. Yippee!!

3 comments:

Nathan and Annalee Peterson Family said...

I'm so excited for you guys to have a basement. That will be wonderful!!!! And Anaya's hair is beautiful! How did you come up with that? McKay must be 5? MaKenzie would act the same way. You gotta love em'.

Lyn said...

Love the costumes! Your games sound like lots of fun. McKay cracks me up. He always makes me laugh:) Excited for the basement to be done. Sorry I missed you the other day. Take care!

Mandy H said...

looks like a fun Halloween, I love the pumpkins we just painted ours this year. :) That cleopatra costume is adorable and you do great princess hair. Cute,cute kids!