Tuesday, March 11, 2008

That String Thing


Since Easter is a week from Saturday (doesn't that seem early?! In my mind it should be in about a month....) I thought I would post what we did last year, because it was so fun. We have usually done a treasure hunt, but last year I decided to do something different. I got 5 skeins of yarn... all different colors...tied one end to each of the kids beds, and then ran string all over the place.... upstairs, downstairs, in the garage, through the car and van, out the back door, over the trampoline, around the house, I mean everywhere! After I thought I had run enough string, I ended with their Easter stuff hidden with the last of their yarn (one was in the dryer, one in a cupboard, one under a bed, one in the winter stuff bin etc...)

I didn't sequence things well that night though. I was so excited to try the string thing, that I wasn't thinking too clearly. After I had all the string run through the house... it dawned on me that Rik had an early morning Sunday meeting, and rats, I stringed his car into the garage... so I had to undo that and re-do it so that Rik could drive out of the garage. Then, I hadn't gotten everything ready for church the next day, so moving through the house getting ready for Sunday was a HUGE chore.... really funny to watch... but hard (imagine big step, big step, shimmy under, try not to trip, duck, big step over the string just to get through the living room to my bed room.)

Typically no one wakes up at my house during the night (love that!), and we had later church last year, so this worked perfect at my house. My favorite part of the whole thing was listening to them wake up and try to make their way to the couch. I got up and all three of the older kids were sitting on the couch, and finally Kayden says, "um... nice string mom." Cracked me up. They had to wind their string from their starting points until they got to their baskets. It was so fun (it took some time too!) Anaya and McKay woke up later, so the bulk of the string was gone before they had to walk around, and the older kids helped the two little kids wind up their string and get to their baskets. It was really fun. I guess if you wanted to be safer, you could have dad take the kids somewhere on Saturday and string the house while they are gone and then let them do it when they got home, or just string one room in the house (but where's the fun of that?! I loved watching Kayden walking around the outside of the house in his PJs... too funny!)

This year we have 9:00 church... so I'll have to come up with something else to do, maybe something after church. I'll have to see what I can think up.

(Sorry, not the greatest picture)

2 comments:

The Holcombs said...

That is such a fun idea. I need to remember that one when my kids are older because that would be great!! He is just finally getting to a fun point when it come to the egg hunt. :) But that might be a fun primary activity. Hmmm, gets me thinking. :) fun

MOANA said...

Sound like a lot of fun, like Mandy I will need to file this one away, you always have fun ideas! I am so not ready for Easter this year I am feeling a bit worried. I just realized last night that Easter is next week agh!!! Gotta figure something out fast!